Saturday, April 24, 2021

Sepia Saturday 567 - Those Horses



The prompt this week shows a steeplechase horse - no steeplechasers here, but a few old family pets and a few old nags from the farms in the family.

Don's family came from a farming background, his great-grand parents ran a cattle and sheep station in the north of the state, so there were always horses around. My dad's family were from England and the children all had ponies. We have lived on a small acreage for the last 50 years and as my eldest daughter was/still is horse mad, there have always been ponies here - plus every other animal you can imagine - but that's another story.

So on with the Needle horse parade. Here we have one of the great aunts riding a stock horse on the old farm "Dingly Dell", which was north of Peterborough  at a place called Nackera on the road to Broken Hill.


 This lovely lady is my mother-in-law, Mavis, riding Molly


And here we have my father-in-law, Ron, on Trilly, - Molly and Mavis in the background with Mungrel, the dog.


Molly and Trilly were also used to pull the buggy.


Different horses here pulling the hay cart. Ron driving.

A total change of scene - and continent. My English cousins with their pony


And more English cousins, this time with pony and caravan. What a delightful way to have a holiday.


And here we have the same cousins but this time with a donkey and cart. They look like travelling minstrels - maybe dressed up for a fair or festival.


Finally, one of our own ponies, Pipsy and some of the family. Our daughter holding the head, my son on the back of the horse.




If you would like to see how the rest of the group interpreted the prompt, please visit



Liz Needle



5 comments:

  1. Horses and people share wonderful relationships. Great animals. I must have had some relatives who had horses, but that's not part of my family lore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not grow up around horses, but fantasized as a girl and read all of the horse books. I enjoyed your wonderful collection of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness but you were lucky with matching this week's challenge with horses and horseback riders! What a great collection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a wonderful equestrian collection to feature. I'm impressed that you have preserved the names of the horses and dog too. Animals, especially the working animals, were once an integral part of farm life and deserve credit for their loyal service.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say, my namesake horse is very handsome. How fortunate you are to have equestrians in the family. The closest I came as a child was watching the horse shows at the county and state fairs -- but they were grand, since the competitors were best in show. That caravan vacation looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete