Sunday, September 11, 2022

Sepia Saturday 638

I was quite amazed when I looked at the date on my last post and saw that it was October 9th - last year!! Where have the last 11 months gone and what have I been doung that kept me too busy to write up my blog? Maybe age has something to do with it. I find these days that I have less energy to achieve all that I used to do and less motivation to get off my backside and get things done. Not that I haven't been busy. The garden is looking very well considering that we have had a cold, wet winter and now that the Spring bulbs and flowering shrubs and trees are coming to life, I feel much more energised. I have spent a lot of time in front of the fire crocheting and knitting baby garments for charity and I have enjoyed that though at times my arthritis has made it painful. I will pit some photos up when I have found my camera. And I have also taken on the job of secretary for the local Lawn Bowls Club, so I guess I have not totally retreated into hibernation. So, now it is time to restart my blog!! This week I have decided to post to Sepia Saturday, a meme I have always enjoyed in the past. In fact my last post was for Sepia Saturday. The theme this week is to do with buses - I haven't many bus photos, but here is one of my favourites.
I think I have used it before, but your memories are probably as bad as mine.

This one was taken in 1951 while we were on holiday on Kangaroo Island just off the coast of South Australia. We were enjoying a tour of the island when the bus broke down and I used my new Box Browniw to get a shot of the gentlemen passengers all trying to contribute their expertise to get the bus back on the road.

The husband of one of my quilting friends spends his time restoring old 'double deckers' and the highlight of one of our quilting camps was a quilt shop hop in one of his beautiful buses. This photo is not of the quilt trip, but this is the bus we travelled on. My quilt camp photos are on a CD and the CD slot on my computer has given up the ghost!
And finally an "old bus" that was very dear to Don and I. This 1932 B Model ford was converted into a van and was Don's very first car. We painted it ourtselves and inside I decorated it with little paintings of beetles and bugs. This lovely old bus transported many of our friends to dances and picnics. With an old mattress in the back it made for travel in comfort in the days before seatbelts and other safety measures and it is still fondly remembered at college re-unions. >And that is it for buses from me.

Liz Needle - Linking with Sepia Saturday

8 comments:

  1. Not happy with the new blog. How do I get paragraphs? It has changed since I last posted. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great selection of classic buses. The idea of a "quilt camp" sounds like a place a parent would threaten to send their kids for the summer unless they quit complaining about how boring summertime is.

    Blogger's editor changed last year to "New and improved" but there are still weird problems. In the top menu to the left of the Bold icon is the paragraph style list. The heading "Paragraph" does not behave well with my older blog format, so I have to change all the text entries to "Normal". Then each paragraph should then work when you type "Enter", and will format left, right and center. To get around word spacing, it will also accept "Shift/Enter" for a line shift. There is still an infuriating problem with word wrap around images which requires me to add a special line break code using the HTML mode editor at the end of the text I want separated. I wish Blogspot/Google would fix this missing feature. You can find a lot of help at the "Blogger Help Community".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some great personal bus photos and stories. I think a quilt camp would have been fun when I was quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back!! I have had off-periods when my blog went dormant, but I am always pleased to have Sepia Saturday to get me back on track.
    These are great photos to match the prompt. I wondered about the man in the first photo attempting to fix the bus while face down. I guess he there was something he needed to see from that vantage point. I have never seen a double decker like that for personal use. I'll bet you had a great time. I use Wordpress and also have issues with the "upgrades." I had just learned to do all the things I wanted to do - and now ... Ugh! I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back Liz...so glad you had some bus photos. Love the idea of quilting ccamp. But even more the fun of a mattress in the back of the little truck, which reminds me of real camping out in a truck/van. Hope you keep on posting! I've missed you! And we are all struggling with the various blog problems!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice 'collection' of bus photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just emailled you a couple of photos of that big green bus Liz :-)

    ReplyDelete