Sunday, March 28, 2021

Sepia Saturday 563 - Large families

 

Back to my family photos again because I seem to have quite a few large family groups - big families. Several I have shown before in previous posts, but they bear repeating because I like them.

First we have one you may remember. My husband's maternal grandmother and her siblings. She - Rosa Boord - was one of a large family, mainly girls. Her father was referred to as "the pilot with many daughters". Here we have the good Captain Alexander Frederick Boord with his 11 surviving children,  one having died at birth. Captain Boord's wife died in 1894 two months after the birth of her 12th child. Captain Boord died in 1925, aged 81.


This photo is of the 9 eldest children and their family dog.


Here we have the whole family.




This photo shows the family gathering at the wedding of Nellie Boord, the youngest of the Boord family. Nellie is front row 3rd from the right. Rosa, Don's grandmother ids centre back row wearing a white hat with dark rim.




To continue the family theme, we have Rosa (centre) with her some of her children and grandchildren.
Can you spot those twins in the front row. My Don is top row on the right.



And then the next generation, Rosa's great grandchildren   -  well, a few of them - the Needle ones..



I cannot leave my family out of this. We too had large families. This one  shows my maternal great grandmother, Laura Heyne (nee Hanckel) with her 4 children and their offspring. My mother, also Laura Heyne, is the baby and standing directly behind her and her mother is yet another Laura Heyne - my great aunt.


Skipping a couple of generations and here we have a couple of large families of my cousins. I only had one brother and i was always so envious of these cousins. They were such fun to visit and seemed so close and loving.

Another Heyne family and believe it or not, yet another Laura heyne amongst them.

 My uncle fought in WW2 and was a prisoner of war in Changi prison for a number of years. My aunt was left to raise eight children on her own.



And yet more cousins, but no Laura here. The boys were all servicemen - Airforce, Navy and Army.


I had 34 cousins from my mother's side of the family and like many families we have the occasional family get togethers - sadly these days it is often for funerals. The first photo below goes back to 1941 and it is very poor quality as in those days the cameras were pretty basic.
This is the earliest photo I have seen of me. I am the blonde baby being held on the right.


And a later get together with the children of the young adults from above plus a few others.



Enough of my family. I can't promise you won't see more of them - it really depends on what numbers are thrown at us over the next weeks and months.


Liz Needle  -  linking with  "SEPIA SATURDAY".




6 comments:

  1. What fun group photos...and all family too! I'm very impressed! Thanks for telling us where you were, and a few of your cousins. Most of them would have no meaning to us, but the several with the same name is quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a marvelous and fortunate collection of photos of large family gatherings going back! Since I'm often the one taking pictures for various functions, I appreciate the 'backdrop' where photos are taken so the picture of the children & adults around the playground equipment really caught my appreciative eye. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great collection of group photos. Although we generally take more photos nowadays I think we've sort of lost the art of taking these kind of organized photos. Or maybe that's just me as I don't have a large family or take part in many big gatherings any more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous of all your large families. My side is SMALL and getting smaller as we have only 2 children and they each have only 1. My husband's family though is large, and his ancestors' families were large but most were too poor to take photos. That one photo of the kids from tallest to shortest - I think you could draw a straight line along their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a terrific medley of group photograph styles through the ages! I especially like the one with the twins and everyone laughing. I looks like they are tilted on the deck of a sailing ship. And the inclined plane of eight children is a classic. I suspect photos like these are very useful for large families to keep track of the family traits passed down to the next generations. You really need a guidebook to remember all those names.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these vintage family group photographs as I have so few. 34 cousins on your mother’s side !!! I have just 3 1st cousins, so,I am rather envious of your family gatherings. A great post.

    ReplyDelete