Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Off with the Birds - Silvereye

Finally I am getting around to a project I have been meaning to start for ages. It's taken the boredom of this enforced isolation and a very a painful back from too much gardening to get me motivated.

Australia has an abundance of beautiful birds, most of which are only found in this island which separated from the rest of the world eons ago. I would like to share with you some of those birds which live in my part of Australia and which give me so much joy.


Today's offering is the Silvereye - Zosterops lateralis.  This pretty little bird is familiar and widespread with 9 generally similar Australian races.  They inhabit Eucalypt woodlands, coastal heaths, mallee, mangroves, parks and gardens all along the eastern and southern coast and Tasmania. Most of the southern varieties move northwards for winter. They are useful in the garden as they eat unwelcome insects as well as fruit and nectar. Their nest is a small tightly woven cup of fine grasses, hair and fine bark fibre bound with spider webs. They usually have 2- 4 pale blue eggs in a clutch. and can breed several times in good seasons.








The Silvereyes we get here are Race pinarochrous. Other races may have more olive plumage, white and yellow areas.


As you can see from my photos, they are friendly, gregarious fellows who love the birdbath.













 Silvereyes are not exclusive to Australia, they are also native to New Zealand and the South-west Pacific Islands.




Liz Needle  -  Linking with "Our World Tuesday" and " Wild Bird Wednesday".





7 comments:

  1. I have always loved seeing this little bird while in Australia and it looks like it may be a long time now before I get back even to see my family which is sad so your photos will delight me in the meantime. Stay well, stay safe and stay home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little birds look quite similar to the South African Cape White Eye. Thanks for you visit and comment, much appreciated. Lovely set of photos. Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful little guys! Your amazing “Island” really does have fantastic birds ...I’m envious. Of the birds and of your talent in photographing them. I’ve read several articles about birdwatching growing in popularity as we all try to keep busy in our corner of this worldwide isolation ward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Liz you captured them well, I wishes that I had the patience that you do. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This delightful little species was quite common in many of the area I visited in 2018 and it charmed us every time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, what a lovely bird! Their eyes are beautiful. Cute captures of them at the bird bath.
    Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice info, thanks for share, oh ya saya mau berbagi, baru saja saya menemukan Video Viral tentang Hobby jadi Bisnis trus minum Kopi Terbaik sambil simak Media Kalteng baca tentang Paid Promote / Jasa Endorse untuk Jual Akik Gambar buat beli Printer laser white toner Lebihnya buat cari jasa desain grafis sambil belajar Pidato Komunikasi Publik

    ReplyDelete