Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Riversdale Garden


Last weekend Jo and I visited Riversdale Garden just outside of Balhannah in the Hills. We didn't have a lot of time as we were off on a Christmas shopping spree, but as this garden is not very large, we were able to have a good look around.
 
The property on Wicks Road has been there for many years and was originally a large farming property extending almost into Oakbank, but it is now much smaller. I have to apologise because I had a very informative fact sheet which I carelessly mislaid, so I cannot tell you much about the history.
The house is a beautiful old farmhouse built from local Balhannah soap stone, sitting on the hill behind Oakbank and Balhannah, with lovely views of Oakbank.


 
The garden is quite formal in design with a perennial border in front of the house and roses along  the drive side of the house. There is a lush looking green lawn with a wide perennial border around the lawn. The owners have chosen mass plantings of perennials and roses that they know will do well with  minimal watering (I do remember that from the fact sheet).
 

There are mature  trees and shrubs around the outer perimeter of the garden, creating a peaceful and secluded haven for the owners.
 


 
 
The outer border of the garden overlooking the paddocks and a dam.
 
 
I loved the colour here with that deep pink foxglove. Mine look quite wishy washy by comparison. That's one I'll have to look for.
 
 
Lovely use of stone steps and walls with roses and  perennials
 
 
I enjoyed this garden - it looks like I would like mine to look - tidy and well kept. The one feature I did not show you, because I thought it spoilt the look of a lovely garden is the large in ground swimming pool in the middle of the front lawn. You can see a corner of it in the third photo.
 
 
 
 

Liz Needle
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. such a beautiful place! well-tended but still allowed to look natural.

    so nice to see you again, liz! i'm adding you back into my regular reading list! :)

    ReplyDelete