Monday, August 24, 2009

Bush plants

I really enjoy photographing plants of all kinds, especially flowers. At Nepabunna I didn't have lot of time to indulge this particular passion, but I did get a few photos of local species. Unfortunately I am not familiar with these species and have not had time to research them, but I hope you enjoy them anyway.

Perhaps one of my readers (if I have any) will be able to help out.

This one is the flower of the bush tomato - one of the members of the Solanum family and regarded as very good bush tucker.

Another bush tucker offering - sweet but with an unpleasant texture. It left a slimy residue on the tongue.

Bush tucker again. Very small, sweet berry reminiscent of ones we used to collect as kids in the Adelaide Hills - we called them native currants, I think. I wouldn't want to have to rely on these for a feed. It would take all day to pick enough for a meal.


This pretty thing is the flower of a native hopbush - a member of the Dodonaea family, but I am not sure which particular one.


This flower looks familiar - a member of the Malvaceae family, I think - some form of native hibiscus, perhaps?

And finally, my favourite. Obviously a pea flower, but I haven't a clue which species. We only saw one small bush of this and I was captivated by it - the colours so delicate for the harsh environment in which it was growing.

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment