Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Photo a Day 156 - Our World Tuesday


While we were in Sydney last weekend, we spent a few hot and weary hours looking at a series of sculptures on the beach and along the headland.  Many of them did not appeal to me at all, but there were some interesting ones.

Here is one I thought suitable for "Ruby Tuesday", though the subject held no appeal for me.




One exhibit I did not like at all  - in fact I found it quite repulsive and spooky.  From the distance it looked like something made from sheep wool.


But on closer inspection it was a collage of naked barbie dolls.




This large shell like structure was both attractive and novel. It made a highly amplified noise like you hear when you hold a sea shell up to your ear. The sound seemed to be coming from all around depending on the wind direction. Quite amazing.



This structure was made from plastic packing tape I think. It seemed to continually move and shimmer.




I did take other photos, but my favourite was this natural rock sculpture which will become a permanent part of the landscape.



If you look closely at the last shot, you can see the long queue of spectators winding their way around the coast.

But nothing man made could beat the natural beauty of the beach.



Liz Needle  -  linking with "Our World Tuesday"   and "Ruby Tuesday".





5 comments:

  1. You are right. that lat shot trumps them all although i do like the shell and natural rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful collection of sculptures. My favorites are the first one and the last shot of the beach! Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully, not every piece of art is meant to please everyone. The red sunbather is interesting. From a distance the texture of the doll wall is compelling, but it becomes just weird when you get close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting set of sculptures. I do like the shell and found the Barbie dolls quite strange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say that I agree with your taste in art! So much of it is not pleasing to the eye these days so I don't get how they are labeled 'art'.

    ReplyDelete