Thursday, March 05, 2015

Photo a Day 60 - Good Fences


This type of gate is very common on the old properties in our area - we have several similar ones ourselves.  Not for the old German farmers the fancy wrought iron gates we see in Tex's posts - ours are simple wire mesh and iron gates. And only one gate - two require too much time. large enough to fit a farm vehicle though, but not so large that double gates are required. Though I have to say that some of them take a lot of lifting and pushing to open now that they are old and sagging on their hinges.


I love how this farmer at one stage put in a new cement strainer post on one side, but left the old gate  -  "Why waste a good gate, it still keeps the cows in."





And where does this old gate lead to?  Check in next Tuesday for" Rubbish Tuesday" and you will see.

Liz Needle  -  linking with "Good Fences".  Pop over to Tex's place for more gates and fences.




18 comments:

  1. Great shots, I have seen similar gates here too. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aged in honor, we would say in German. I like the old things, they are doing their jobs for a long time.
    (We could fantasize some stories to. Here is every wednesday a story-meme:
    http://senioradventureswithlindakay.blogspot.de/)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind looking at old gates and fences,
    I even get very close to them while taking pictures! :))
    Have a beautiful day
    【ツ】Knipsa

    ReplyDelete
  4. we actually have quite a few of those types of farm gates here, too. :) usually in pastures and farm yards, but the ones on the driveway entrances are typically more 'dressed up.' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see where it leads. This is great....I love the old gates and this one certainly looks like it has seen many a day. Awesome!!
    Blessings,
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have only seen one picture of a red gate and I had taken it. A road over.

    This is very nice the color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mean one gate I have seen and I had taken the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes indeed where does it lead, and what ever tried going through it?! That's even a bigger question.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful fence photo. I love these old rickety types, they have character.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great looking gate even if it has seen better days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As long as it works! :-)

    By the way, you asked about the Tombstone Quilt Show...I provided a link in the text that takes you over to my quilting blog where I posted the quilts. Take a look if you get a chance...it's a small but good show.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some old things are better than new. If it still works, why replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like it. No need for a new one when the old one does the job, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a neat old gate. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. its a neat gate....still has alot of life left in it. the other gate post is still wood.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unique catch, Liz! From the POV is reusing the gate, it makes sense, in some sense :)
    Thank you for visiting my blog.

    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete