Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Watery Wednesday and Outdoor Wednesday

My first post for this meme and one close to my heart at the moment. It is summer here, but even so it is such a hot dry one. We have hadonly a few showers since mid November and my poor garden is really suffering.

Australia is a land of contrasts - where we are, it is so dry at the moment, but further north they have just had really bad floods - in the middle of summer. In the words of poet Dorothea Mackellar, from her great poem "My Country",

"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains."

So, this photo taken at Banrock Station near Waikerie is especially dear to me. This is one of the beautiful lagoons and wetlands  off the River Murray and in a good season teems with wildlife of all sorts. A boardwalk access has been built so that visitors can walk around the area and there are bird hides all along the way. Banrock Station is also an excellent producer of fine Australian wines.


Liz Needle

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely photo....one could become lost in the thought of it...and create such a poem of so many various views!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo must put that spot on our 'place to visit' when we travel next year

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! Reminds me of the Great Dismal Swamp in Va/NC USA.

    ReplyDelete