Saturday, February 16, 2008

Scatterday S


Scatterday S
Originally uploaded by lulubelleliz
Oh dear!! Last minute rush. Haven't had a spare moment this week to think about Scatterdays. Thank heavens we have a garden!!

Golden - golden SQUASH. We have some growing, but we forgot to pick them in time, so they have , like Topsy, just growed.

Fruit - SWEET melon. I refuse to call them rock melon. They were sweet melon when I was a kid and my dad grew them and they are sweet melon now. Who on earth called them rock melon anyhow? They don't look like rocks! They don't grow in rocks". They are sweet, succulent, satisfying and salubrious.

Itchy stuff - SOAP makes me itch. Any sort of soap. I itched and came out in a rash as a baby and I itch now. In fact if someone could find a soap that doesn't make me itch, I would be eternally grateful!!

About 6.pm today I logged on and immediately realised that I had not done my Scatterdays. I had in fact been busy marking assignments and madly sewing down bindings on my quilts for the Retreating Angels exhibition in March. (BTW if any one wants raffle tickets for the celtic quilt, let me know). I quickly unearthed the camera and raced out into the garden - the very dry, half dead garden. Luckily there are a few things surviving in the veggie garden so I was able to get some photos.

My poor garden is suffering. We have lost our glorious Waratah, several rhododendrons, two flowering currants, a dogwood, a number of banksias and melaleucas and numerous perennials. Amazingly the roses, camellias, magnolias and hydrangeas are hanging on - but for how long, I cannot say. Surely we must get some rain soon? All I can water in the time allowed are the tree ferns and small stuff close to the house. It is indeed heartbreaking and I really feel for the oldies who only have their precious gardens to keep them going. My mother would have been devastated, but stoical.

I am praying for rain!!

Liz

8 comments:

  1. Your garden photos are great despite the lack of rain. I would gladly share some of ours with you. Just send Don with a truck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snap with the squash! Actually, it covered all 3 for me...had to because the gnomes stole my original 3.
    soap? not many I can use either. I find DermaVeen soap free wash is good. It's a liquid wash, that actually smells nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poor garden. We are having way too much rain, our roses are all covered in black spot and aphids. Would cheerfully send some clouds over for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear Liz, just looking at what your garden has cheers me up, you should see mine - non-existant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful photo you have taken of your squash. And I love your S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been tagged - see my blog for details. Don't blame me - blame Di J!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have just been tagged! Check my blog for details. *vbg*

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I've been tagged twice, does that mean I have to do it twice? Better go see what it is that I have to do. LOL

    ReplyDelete