Friday, May 01, 2020

Off With the Birds - Grey Fantail


My bird for the day is another favourite - the Grey Fantail ( Rhipidura albiscapa). I really love the small birds that we have here, especially the ones that visit my garden.



Closely related to the Willy Wagtail  (Riphidura leucophrys), the Grey Fantail is found throughout Australia with subtle variations in different areas. They are active and restless, delighting onlookers with their athletic flight chasing after insects.

Their habitat is wide ranging, including open woodlands, parks and gardens. Both sexes are alike in appearance  while the immature birds are browner with buff head and wing markings.



They are playful and fearless and love playing in the birdbath.






Some years we have found them nesting in the camellia bushes.




Here is a video of a cheeky Fantail bamboozling a Re-browed Finch. I hope this works. I just got it downloaded (first time I have ever tried) then somehow I deleted it!!!







Liz Needle   -   linking with "Saturday Critters", "Our World Tuesday" and "Wild Bird Wednesday".






7 comments:

  1. ...what a beautiful little thing, it's easy to see how it got its name. Take care Liz and enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Liz, what a beautiful post and wonderful bird photos. I love the fan tail feathers and the cute birds in the nest. The video is great, sweet birds I love them. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day! Wishing you a happy new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantails are such wonderfully named birds. They really do fan their tails constantly and are a delight to see. I had hoped to renew my acquaintance with them in July, but the Coronoavirus has put a stop to that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are cute birds ...I especially love the one with the beautiful tail feathers all fanned out (definitely this bird is aptly named) and of course the shots of the nest in your camellia bush ... wow! And the video worked fine ...those finches he was intimidating are quite the sweethearts as well ... you have amazing backyard birds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous 'feathered friends' photo ~ love the baby ones ~ ^_^

    Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a hummingbird nest. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are so much fun to see flitting around here in NZ, too. I love that they are fearless in their search of insects.


    Feel free to share at My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete