Thursday, March 09, 2017

Wild Bird Wednesday

A visit to a local wetlands this week gave me a chance to snap some of the water birds. To my surprise I also saw a new honeyeater, but the little devil played funny games with me and would not stay still long enough for me to identify it, let alone get a picture in focus. Next time maybe.

Laratinga Wetlands  at Mount Barker in South Australia is a great spot to see birds, especially water birds, or just to walk and enjoy the scenery. Easy walking paths also cater for wheelchairs or prams so the area is very family friendly.

There are a number of the more common water bird species and they are quite used to people walking around, so there are many photo and observation opportunities. This first white ibis pair I spotted in the front paddock at home on my way out.



A pair of Spur-winged Plover. This is a sub species of the Masked Lapwing. Both subspecies interbreed so that many of them share characteristics of both breeds. The plover has a black neck band and smaller wattles.




A purple Swamphen.


Another White Ibis.



A Dusky Moorhen in non-breeding plumage.



And to my delight  on my way home, I spotted this black swan with two youngsters on a large dam.



All in all a pleasant hour snapping.

Liz Needle  -  linking with "Wild Bird Wednesday" and "Outdoor Wednesday".









8 comments:

  1. Lovely birds! Great photo of the Swan and babies!
    Hope you are having a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos! I particularly love the white ibis! Good luck with the honeyeater next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Très belle série ;-)
    Céline & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful variety of birds, and you capture them so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice series of birds and to end it with that black swan....nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great variety of birds. Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice series of birds! You even managed some Eurasian Coots on the dam with the Black Swans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to see allthe bird images especially the oung of the Black swan

    ReplyDelete