Saturday, November 09, 2013

Sepia Saturday

Back online again after three weeks of frustration arguing with bureauocracy and the protocols and procedures.  Long story and not worth telling now.

http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com.au/Our Sepia Saturday theme could be about the beach, women, photography or even soft toy cats. I could find very little in my collection that might match these themes. Apparently my ancestors either never went to the beach or never had their photos taken in beach clothing - probably the latter.

However I was able to find this old sepia in the local antique shop. I have no idea who or where, but I though the ladies interesting in their very 'daring' swimming costumes. Sometime in the thirties I would guess. They obviously enjoyed posing for the photographer. The two younger women on the left look as if they could be sisters with perhaps mother on the right.


I did eventually find another beach photograph. This one is of me in the year in which I discovered "BOYS"!  Not that I had never had anything to do with boys before that. Indeed in my street all the kids my age were boys and I grew up a total tomboy and this is why my mother decided to send me to an all girls school - to make a lady of me!!  Some chance!!  But in this year - 1953 - we went on a holiday to Kangaroo Island and I fell in love for the first time.  His name was Bernie and his father owned the holiday house we stayed in.

The photo indicates that I thought I was very elegant and grown up posing like a beach belle.  Ignore my little brother- I did that summer!

Liz Needle   -   linking with Sepia Saturday.

12 comments:

  1. I see why you fell in love with Bernie -- what a hottie! LOL Well, yeah he was -- for his age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what the mother in the top photo is trying to conceal inside her bathing costume, but it looks lethal...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what fun it is to be on the beach, with those we love especially!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I am older, I think that I would be happy having to cover up so much at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pose against the rocks. I'm sure Bernie would have been impressed had he seen you thus. Little brothers can be a pain - until one day they go missing & everyone, including you, is worried sick. Then he's found & you're so relieved & glad - until the next time he does something immensely irritating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness, the fit in those swimsuits in the photo at the top left a lot to be desired, didn't it?
    On the other hand, you were quite svelte and sweet in your suit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s so funny I have a photo of me overdoing a pose - and in a shirred elstic swimsuit just like that too. Perhaps it was the costume that brought it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was also a tomboy with no girls school anywhere near - and also had two very annoying younger brothers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your second photo reminds me of one of my brother and sister leaning against rocks in a similar way - didn't think of it until now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Liz Love the shot of you and your brother. You certainly were a poser!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder what older brothers thought of they kid sisters - my daughter was the youngest of the three. We have no posing pictures of her till she was much older that you were in that last photo.

    ReplyDelete