Saturday, April 17, 2021

Sepia Saturday 566 - The artifices of photography.

 

Well you have me this week. No photos of the rooms in any of the houses in my collection. What a shame. I would love to have seen inside the houses of my ancestors. On my father's side they would have been quite grand, I think. On my mother's side less so.

However as I was browsing through my old photos, something did catch my eye and that was the backgrounds and props that the photographers of the time used. Most old photos - at least in my family archives - were taken by professional photographers as privately owned cameras were very rare in the old days. I am amazed at how many professional photographers there seem to have been just in my home city of Adelaide. Anyway that is my theme this week - Backgrounds and props used by the photographers of old. 

Let's look at some of the furniture - there always seem to be chairs of some sort, even if they were only to lean on.  Here we have several cane chairs - and a fur rug - also commonly used. These children are some of my mother's cousins, taken around 1896



Speaking of furs. This little chap is cuddling up to a shaggy fur. Like many of the photos in my old album, these children are un-named. not family, but friends, I suspect. Who knows?



This velvet buttoned chair appears in a number of family shots. One of these young ladies is Olga Ernst, who became a well known children's author in Australia. A  second cousin twice removed??? Very obscure, but I am claiming her!!



My maternal Great Great Grandparents - I would die for a cane chair like that one. Interesting that the chair only has one arm as does the other chair. 

And then there were the other types of furniture like this toy horse and carriage.


Or this three-wheeled wheel chair


Then there was often something ornate to lean on - probably needed because they had to stand still for so long. Either an elegant one like this one 


Or something more rustic and (dare I say it in these days of political correctness?) more masculine.


Which brings me to the backdrops, like this rustic archway  in a garden setting



Or this one which really makes me giggle - My great great grandmother with her daughter and grand children (Olga Ernst again). A fake drawing room background.


I do have one more photo - a very very old one taken in Germany some time before anyone ever thought of coming to Australia. I'm not sure if it is even a photo? I am sure someone can enlighten me. This is of my great great grandparents Dr. Carl August Heyne and his wife Marianne. This image was possibly taken well before 1840, the year in which he died. There is a baby here and I know they had three children, my great grandfather being born in 1825, so this photo could be even older than 1840.


This photo does show the interior of a house.


That's it for me. If you want to see how the rest of the gang interpreted the theme head over to 


Liz Needle





6 comments:

  1. This is a great response to the prompt! I keep going back to the "dog" in the first photo. I assume he is a prop and I don't recall seeing other old photos with a dog at one's feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting about professional photographers back in the day, and cameras being prohibitively expensive. Also interesting are the props they used. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great spin on the theme! I've always been fascinated by the variety of props and special furniture used by early photographers. The children's photos are real gems. Someday I hope to find a catalog for photo supplies which offers those sheepskins and wicker chairs. I'm doubtful about your dates on the last photo. The early daguerreotypes were first introduced in about 1840 and were not able to adjust for strong light. There was also no color process until the 1890s. So I think your family group by a window must be watercolor painting or a later photo that was colorized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I would guess that it is a painting. Unfortunately the original was destroyed in a bushfire around 1985, so this copy is all that exists.

      Delete
  4. The photo that makes you giggle looks very much like one of today's Zoom backgrounds :-) An interesting take on the prompt that totally worked -- I was very focused on the backgrounds throughout, some of which mirror props in a a few of my own ancestral photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Liz. Great images to fit the prompts. Thanks for sharing these great photographs. Have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete