Monday, November 04, 2019

Belated Sepia Saturday


 It's a long time since I posted on this meme and I know I am running late, but I came across this rather naughty photo and figured that it fit the theme. I just couldn't resist!






On a more sensible note, this old photo is of my grandfather and his trusty old van. My great grandfather had one of the first registered nurseries in Adelaide, way back in around 1870 and then opened the first garden shop in South Australia, selling seeds and plants.  A botanist, horticulturalist and viticulturalist, he also published the first book in South Australia on horticulture, titled "The Amateur Gardener for South Australia" by E B Heyne.

His son - my grandfather - followed in his footsteps,establishing a nursery in Norwood, not far out of Adelaide. The van was used for deliveries around the Adelaide suburbs. This photo dates back to the thirties.



And talking of ladies standing around old vehicles. I always get a chuckle out of this photo I took with my very first Box Brownie in around 1951. We were on a bus tour on Kangaroos Island and the old bus broke down. The "experts" offer advice while the ladies  look on.





Liz Needle - linking with Sepia Saturday 494


































2 comments:

  1. ...I like you grandfather old van, two years ago I sold my nursery after a 50 year career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun choices to match our theme. Your grandfather's photo is a terrific treasure.

    ReplyDelete