Thursday, June 28, 2018

By the Seaside


Living as we do in the Adelaide Hills, we don't get to the seaside very often - and rarely with a chance to go birding. So, it was with great delight that I was taken by my birding cousins to Ricketts Point Marine Sanctuary on a recent trip to Melbourne.

John and Margaret are keen birders and were more than happy to drive me around Melbourne to visit some of the many suburban birdwatching areas - and Melbourne has a wealth of them. Ricketts Point was especially good because I got a chance to snap seabirds for a change. These are all pretty common sights for those of you who live near the coast, but a real treat for me.

Silver Gulls and a pair of Little Pied Cormorants

Crested Tern

I am familiar with Black Swan. We get them on the waterways in the hills, but I did not realise they were also found on the coast.


The White-faced Heron is one of our visitors and has actually nested on our property, but again I did not think of them as a coastal bird.




Australian Pelican


And finally, a bit of everything.





Liz Needle

linking with

Wild Bird Wednesday

Our World Tuesday

Nature Notes

Camera Critters

Saturday Critters

11 comments:

  1. Awesome seaside scenes! I love seeing them, no matter what coast they are! I only saw black swans on lakes and was also surprised to see them in the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have a seaside place to visit..Great collection of seabirds....and those you wouldn't think of as seabirds...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily I live very near the coast and there is no doubt that I see more birds at the the coast than in any inland location. There is such a variety of habitats at coastal locations. That White-faced Heron is especially nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Liz, I love all the shorebirds. The Pied Cormorant is one of my favorite. But, I also love the heron, swans and pelicans. They are all wonderful birds and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. I appreciate the comment and visit. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The black swans are so elegant and beautiful! You've shared a nice variety of birds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The black swans are so elegant. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful. I miss teh Australian birds love your shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just beautiful! lovely birds lovely photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats a great little place - and its good for snorkelling in the summer too.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a fun birdwatching trip and I do love the ocean, but don't live near it...Thank you for linking into Nature Notes.. Michelle

    ReplyDelete